September 25, 2011

REVIEW: The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder

After hearing so much buzz about The Lipstick Laws by Amy Holder around the blogosphere, I got my hands on a copy, here's what I think...

Since April moved to a new school, she has been ignored by most people, except her new best friend, Hayley. But then Hayley moves to Kansas and April is left alone. On the start of the new school year, April is paired with one of the most popular girls in sport class. Now, as April moves up the ranks, she realises that the glamorous life really isn't what it sounds like. And it comes with a set of rules that can change you...


I'll start on a good note; The Lipstick Laws was great. It was a high-school life, teenage-drama that was entertaining and fluffy. Emphasis on fluffy.

In my opinion, The Lipstick Laws lacked depth. Now, you might be thinking, 'what is she saying?? It's a cheesy (but great) high school novel after all?' 
Yes, that is true, and I loved reading this book, it was a great escape that whisked me away into another world for a few hours, but I did find this plot predictable, and a lot like many other books and movies out there. Done to death. Giving off an atmosphere uncannily similar to that of the 2004 movie Mean Girls.

I liked Holder's style of writing and would love to see something a little mor original from her as I am sure that she would execute it very well.

However, if you are 13-16, looking for a quick read that keeps your attention and is a great fun, The Lipstick Laws is it.

No comments:

Other Posts you might Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...